Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)Common questions and their answers
* Licensing Questions (all products)
What are the free version limitations?
There are no time limits and all the important basic features are available. You can also see a comparison between the free and pro versions. IMPORTANT: the free version can only be used for non-commercial or home use only. So, if you are making money in any way using future.dj pro, you need to subscribe to Pro.
If I have 2 computers do I have to buy 2 copies?
No, you just you can use it on all your personal Macs/PCs.
What is your policy on new versions / upgrades for existing customers?
All our users and customers have access to the latest version for free, there are no extra update/upgrade fees.
What is you policy on refunds?
Since future.dj pro is free to use for the basic features and we also have a free trial for the Pro subscription there is no refund possible. However, if you’ve got the Pro subscription, you can always cancel it anytime you’d like to. For all the other products bought directly from our website (eg. future.dj) we offer a 30-days money-back guarantee.
How do I cancel my Pro subscription? (Windows / Mac)
We’re sorry to see you leaving our service, if you have any (good or bad) feedback on why you want to cancel please let us know.
- If you are using a Windows PC it means you have subscribed on Paddle (this is the payment provider we use). You have received an email when you subscribed that also contains unsubscribing instructions. In case you no longer have access to that email just go to https://paddle.com -> Cancel a subscription. Here’s a direct link: https://www.paddle.com/about/cancel-subscription
- If you are using a Mac it means that you subscribed on the Mac App Store. To cancel the subscription (either free or payed) you need to go to your Apple account and manage your subscriptions/purchases. We have no way to do that for you since it is only controlled by YOU or Apple themselves.
- Open the App Store app and click the sign-in button (or your name) at the bottom of the sidebar (usually bottom-right).
- Click on “Account Settings” and then scroll down in that window until you see “Subscriptions” in the Manage section. Click on “Manage”.
- Identify the subscription and click “Edit” and the “Cancel subscription”. This should be it.
* DJ/Audio Questions (all products)
When I'm trying to pre-listen (preview) a song in the list, it doesn't work
You need to have a separate output for headphones activated in Preferences / Settings (CFG)
What is a cue point?
How do I set a cue point?
Can I record my mixes?
I have some MP4 and M4A files on my computer but they don't seem to work
I have some M4P files on my computer from the iTunes Store but they don't seem to work
One solution is to burn your songs to CD (as audio-cd) and then re-import them as un-protected aac or as mp3. Another possible solution is to upgrade your songs to DRM free format from the iTunes store, but we have NOT tried this before so it might not work.
I can't use WMA files on Mac
Multichannel output/input doesn't work on Windows with my soundcard. What is wrong?
On Windows, it’s always best to use an ASIO driver for the audio device/soundcard. Open Cfg/Preferences and select an ASIO device. If your audio device does not have an ASIO driver, simply select the WASAPI driver (all audio cards should have it).
What can I do if the sound is not hearing well (stutter, pops, clicks, skips)?
What is SPLIT mode?
* Video Questions (all products)
I want to play/mix HD and full-HD videos. Do I need any special hardware?
What are the recommended system requirements to play/mix HD and full-HD videos?
- for 720p HD videos (1280×720) — at least 3GB of RAM (4GB recommended), a video card with at least 128MB video RAM (256MB VRAM recommended)
- for 1080p/i full HD videos (1920×1080) — at least 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended), a video card with at least 256MB video RAM (512MB VRAM recommended)
If you are running Windows, the 64-bit Windows version is highly recommended for HD video playback because future.dj will use at least 2.5 GB of RAM when loading 2 full HD videos. On a 32-bit system an app can only use 2GB of RAM (irrespective of how much RAM is installed in that machine). So, in future.dj, HD playback on 32-bit systems is basically not optimized for best playback but for lowest memory use on such machines. That’s why we are urging you to use a 64-bit version of Windows. All Macs are OK.
What should I know about video recording?
When I record the video mix (in HD) the video quality is not that great. What can I do to fix it?
To solve this you need to connect a second display to your Mac/PC, move the video window to it and make it full-screen. This second display can be anything: a monitor, a TV, a projector. Basically, what’s important is that the video window will be large enough (full HD 1920×1080 is perfect).
* General Questions (all products)
How do I import an M3U playlist file that has songs with special non-latin characters in it? (eg. letters like ü, á, ñ, etc)
Is it possible to edit the songs tags directly from future.dj?
* PRO-version Questions (future.dj pro)
What hardware controllers do you recommend?
All controllers that have MIDI will work if you take 5-10 minutes to configure future.dj pro.
Out-of-the-box future.dj pro supports 120+ controllers (no configuration needed) from manufacturers like Akai, Akiyama, American Audio, Beamz, Behringer, Beyond Music, Denon, Faderfox, Gemini, Hercules, M-Audio, Novation, Numark, PCDJ, Pioneer, Reloop, Stanton, Vestax, Zomo. Take a look at the complete list of mapped controllers
For any of these controllers you don’t have to configure future.dj pro at all (zero-configure)
Just plug them (install drivers if needed), start future.dj pro and select them in Cfg/Preferences — ready to go!
Why should I subscribe to the Pro version instead of just using the Free one?
The Pro version has more advanced features which are not found in the other versions. See the complete list here.
How can I define keyboard shortcuts?
Can I connect a natively supported controller and a MIDI controller at the same time?
What timecoded vinyls/CDs can I use and where do I get them?
What limitations does the MacAppStore version has?
The MacAppStore is SandBoxed (you can only access the Music and Movies folders directly), you cannot use HID controllers (but MIDI does work). However, you can still add manually any other folder or disk.