Multichannel Sound Card vs. USB Audio Interface

everything about FutureDecks Lite / FutureDecks DJ / future.dj (tips, wish list).
dj jazzy l

Multichannel Sound Card vs. USB Audio Interface

Postby dj jazzy l » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 pm

I need some assistance. I'm a novice. So some of the questions I ask may seem elementary to some but I'm just out of the womb. I want to use the headphone feature on FutureDecks Express. While on Amazon.com, they offered me two choices and I want to know if either will work sufficiently to utilize the headphone feature.

7.1 Channel USB External Sound Card Audio Adapter
USB 2.0 External 5.1 Channel 3D Sound Card Adapter for PC Notebook Laptop

At this point I know I would need to purchase a 5.1 or 7.1 soundcard.

OR

Numark DJ I/O Multi Channel USB 2.0 DJ Audio Interface

Explain to me what will and won't work.

Also
Audio-Technica BPHS1 Broadcast Stereo Headset
I want to be able to talk to my audience without using a stand-alone handheld microphone.

Xenobase
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Multichannel Sound Card vs. USB Audio Interface

Postby Xenobase » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Go for the Numark DJ I/O Multi Channel USB 2.0 DJ Audio Interface.

Why?:
http://www.numark.com/djio wrote: DJ|iO has stereo outputs for a main sound system, a secondary or monitoring system and headphones, as well as a microphone input with a hardware volume control.

You will need the secondary headphones output in order to pre listen a track in Deck A, while the track in Deck B is audible on the main sound system.

The other soundcard(s) you mentioned do not offer seperate outputs: you won't be able to pre-listen tracks, only hear what is currently playing on the main sound system.

However, the Numark DJ|iO does not have a microphone XLR input, but instead has a 1/4" input.
So you will either need to look for another soundcard, or buy a convertor plug (XLR to 1/4"), which will give some quality loss.

DJ A. J. Slye
Volunteer Moderator

Postby DJ A. J. Slye » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:27 pm

um, any of those will work, it depends on your budget. I would recommend the Numark since it is a pro card. but as long as you can pre-listen (Ie. Master - front / headphones - rear / etc.) just be sure when buying consumer audio that you don't end up with something like the soundblaster live was (separation of channels was done in the driver / software not in the hardware).

vim
Developer

Postby vim » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:04 pm

I also recommend a multichannel card as it's way better (for sync mainly) than 2 separate soundcards. Choose according to your budget. These days the audio equipment is pretty good even at low prices. Also, a warning about the headphones -- we have about 5 AudioTechnica's here and to be honest the price is just too high for the quality (and I'm not talking only about the audio quality, the physical one too).

hgshil

Postby hgshil » Thu May 12, 2011 11:24 pm

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Can I use it to playback from my Futuredecks software with my MacBook without getting an additional stereo card or do I need to get one? 8)

greetal

Postby greetal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Alesis iO|2
USB 2-channel audio interface with 24 bit 48 kHz max recording capability that really works nicely both on windows and in Linux without any big troubles or glitches so far. Powered by USB connection.
Manufacturer's website:
http://www.alesis.com/io2
Ins and outs:
Inputs: 2 x MIC XLR (with optional +48 V), 2 x Guitar/Line, S/PDIF IN, MIDI IN
Outputs: MAIN L/R 1/4", Phones 1/4" stereo/mono, S/PDIF OUT, MIDI OUT
Pros:
Robust case, controls and switches feels pretty reliable. Very easy and straightforward to use and Audacity has no problems handling it. It's possible to mix the monitor feed anywhere between direct and USB sound. It works with Linux!
Cons:
The meter LEDs are not that finely graded so it's a bit difficult to set the levels exactly. At very high gain levels it of course gets a bit noisy. There's a tendency to introduce DC offset with the recordings.

Return to “future.dj (for Mac/Windows)”